Pastor Jay continues the series on War of the World - A Training Manual for "My Little Children", with this week's sermon "The Sin Reality Check" from 1 John 1:5-2:1. [powerpress] 1 John 1:5-2:1 (ESV)
Walking in the Light This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. Christ Our Advocate My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
We need to check the reality of our faith by considering our relationship to sin.
- There are those who claim to have fellowship with the Lord but whose relationship to sin reveals that they are not in fellowship with Him.
- We walk in darkness.
- We deceive ourselves and say we have no sin.
- We make God out to be a liar by saying we have not sinned.
- We lie and do not practice the truth.
- We have not the truth in us.
- We have not the word in us.
- There are those who claim fellowship with the Lord, whose relationship to sin reveals they are in fellowship with him.
- We walk in the light as He is in the light.
- We confess our sins.
- We seek to not sin.
- We have fellowship in the church and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us.
- We have forgiveness and cleansing of sin.
- We have an advocate with the Father.
- What should a true Christian do with sin?
- What are ways we know that we are in fellowship with the Lord?
- What are attitudes that show we are not followers of Christ?
- What are we saying about God if we ignore or deny our sin(s)?
- What comforts do we have if we walk in light?