Pastor Jay continues his summer meandering with this weeks sermon "Myth-busting the Gay Marriage Thing" from Matthew 19:3-8. [powerpress] Matthew 19:3-8 (ESV)
And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
Let's look beyond the easy myths we want to believe.
- Myth #1: The Bible does not give us a clear definition of marriage.
- Myth #2: The Bible is unclear about homosexuality.
- Myth #3: We are not called to judge unbelievers, so we need to be quiet.
- Myth #4: We are not called to change society.
- Myth #5: We cannot love people if we are pointing out their sin.
Parent Connection Questions:
- What happens when you disagree with your parents? Who has the final word?
- What happens when you read a Bible verse and don't like what it says? (maybe it talks about something you're struggling with)
- Who has the final word between us and God? Why?
- Do you find it easy or hard to allow God's rules to be the most important?