Pastor Jay continues a new sermon series, Be Encouraged, Brothers. This week's message is "A Snapshot of Discipleship," from 1 Thessalonians 1:6-8. [powerpress] 1 Thessalonians 1:6-8 (ESV)
And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything.
We ought to see a new disciple becoming transformed.
- A new disciple becomes an imitator.
- He imitates the pattern of the disciplemaker.
- He imitates the pattern of Christ.
- He imitates a pattern of joy in affliction.
- A new disciple becomes an example to others.
- In sharing the gospel.
- In sharing his faith.
Parent Connection Questions:
- Can you do any impressions of other people? (not mean ones!)
- If you could become like, not just imitate, anyone, who would it be? Why?
- How would you imitate Christ?
- How would your week look different at home if you imitated Christ there this week? At school?