Pastor Jonathan continues the four-part Advent series Dawning with his sermon "Joy Dawning" from Luke 2:8-11. [powerpress] Luke 2:8-11 (ESV)
The Shepherds and the Angels And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
We have joy because the light of Christ dawns against our darkness.
- The occasion of joy.
- The revelation of joy.
- The proclamation of joy.
- The transformation of joy.
- If you had important news to deliver, who are some people you would tell?
- Why do you think God chose the shepherds for the announcement of Jesus' birth?
- What are some things in our world that make it hard to feel joyful?
- How does the gospel change how we view those things?
- What do you think it means to have "solid joy?" How does it relate to the gospel?