Pastor Jay starts the four-part Advent series Dawning with his sermon "Hope Dawning" from Matthew 4:12-17. [powerpress] Matthew 4:12-17 (ESV)
Jesus Begins His Ministry Now when he heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew into Galilee. And leaving Nazareth he went and lived in Capernaum by the sea, in the territory of Zebulun and Naphtali, so that what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles— the people dwelling in darkness have seen a great light, and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death, on them a light has dawned.” From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
We have hope because the light of Christ dawns against our darkness.
- This darkness is our darkness.
- This light of hope is the good news of the kingdom of God.
- This light leads to repentance.
- Who/what were Zebulun and Naphtali?
- Why were they in darkness?
- What light came to them?
- What did Jesus mean when he said, "the kingdom of heaven is at hand"?
- How does this give us hope?