Pastor Jay continues the series on War of the World - A Training Manual for "My Little Children", with this week's sermon "Sturdy Defenses" from 1 John 2:26-29. [powerpress] 1 John 2:26-29 (ESV)
I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him. Children of God And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming. If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.
The believer has sturdy defenses against the lies of the enemy.
- To counter the danger we have the abiding of the Holy Spirit.
- To counter the danger we have the abiding of Christ.
- To counter the danger we have the abiding unto His coming.
- What is the subject of this warning?
- Who or what is John talking about when he says. "anointing"?
- What does John mean that we need no one to teach us?
- What does "abide" mean? What does it mean to "abide in Christ"?
- What does "his coming" and "when he appears" mean? How does that encourage us to live righteously and in the truth?