Pastor Jay continues the series on War of the World - A Training Manual for "My Little Children", with this week's sermon "The Face-Heel Turn" from 1 John 2:15-17. [powerpress] 1 John 2:15-17 (ESV)
Do Not Love the World Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
Do not love the world.
- To love the world invalidates love for the father.
- Three contents of the world to recognize as incompatible:
- Beware of the desires of the flesh.
- Beware of the desires of the eyes.
- Beware of the pride of life.
- To love the world is to choose the temporary over the eternal.
- What is "the world" as John means it?
- What does it mean to "love the world" in this context?
- What are the examples John gives that are part of loving the world?
- What are the main reasons John gives that we should love God and not the world?