Pastor Jay continues the series on War of the World - A Training Manual for "My Little Children", with this week's sermon "Beloved Love" from 1 John 2:7-11. [powerpress] 1 John 2:7-11 (ESV)
The New Commandment Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard. At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
- Five Reasons:
- Because this is an old commandment.
- Because this is a new commandment.
- Because this is true in him.
- Because this is true in us.
- Because the light is breaking.
- Five Conclusions:
- So those who hate their fellow believers are still in the darkness.
- So those who love their fellow believers are in the light.
- So those who hate their fellow believers walk in darkness.
- So those who hate their fellow believers don't know where they are going.
- So those who hate their fellow believers are blinded by the darkness.
- Why does God's love move us to love fellow believers?
- How has love always been the key to God's commandments?
- How are we to see "true" or genuine love in us as a church family?
- What does it mean that "the light is already shining?"
- How is hatred a kind of darkness? How does it blind us?