Pastor Jay continues the series on Owning His Peace, with this week's sermon "Peace vs. Fear and Worry" from Matthew 6:25-34. [powerpress] Matthew 6:25-34 (ESV)
Do Not Be Anxious “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
To own the peace of Christ we have to deal with our fears by confidently laying hold of him.
- Lay hold of Christ when dealing with fear of calamity.
- Lay hold of Christ when dealing with fear of the unknown.
- Lay hold of Christ when dealing with fear of deprivation.
- Lay hold of Christ when dealing with fear of incompletion.
- Lay hold of Christ when dealing with fear of man.
- What is the difference between fear and worry? How are they the same and how are they different?
- How does fear or worry harm the peace of Christ in your heart and mind?
- What reason does the Bible give us for not fearing evil?
- What fears or worries bother you the most?
- What does it mean ti lay hold of Christ?