Pastor Jay continues the series on Heaven, What is it Really Like with this week's sermon "Focusing on Heavenly Rewards" from Matthew 6:19-21. [powerpress] Matthew 6:19-21 (ESV)
Lay Up Treasures in Heaven “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
We should care about heavenly rewards.
- We should care because Jesus tells us to care.
- We should care because it keeps our priorities straight.
- Looking to rewards comes from faith and encourages faith.
- We will invariably have our hearts set on rewards.
- Common Objections don't hold up.
- Disappointment in heaven.
- Diminishes our focus on Jesus.
- Not authentic
Parent Connection Questions:
- Should we seek rewards? Why?
- What does a gift tell you about the giver?
- What sort of gifts does God want us to care about?
- What are the best rewards you get from your parents, teachers or friends?
- How does it please God to set your heart on His rewards more than all others?
- How is Jesus our greatest treasure?