Pastor Jay continues his sermon series, Be Encouraged, Brothers with "The Pursuit of Holiness, Part 2" from 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8. [powerpress] 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 (ESV)
Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
The genuine believer in Christ must pursue sanctification.
- Know how to control your bodies.
- Don’t imitate the pagans.
- Don’t hurt people.
- God called you to holiness.
- Do not disregard God in this matter.
Parent Connection Questions:
- What are some things you've tried really hard to do?
- When did you want to do good, but you kept doing the wrong thing?
- How can God help you to obey Him?
- If God calls us to be holy what should our goal be?
- None of us perfectly obeys God. That is why we need Jesus. Have you turned from your sin and trusted in Jesus as the savior and ruler of your life?