Pastor Jay continues his sermon series, Be Encouraged, Brothers with "The Pursuit of Holiness," from 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8. [powerpress] 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 (ESV)
Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
The genuine believer in Christ must pursue sanctification.
- This is urgent.
- This pleases God.
- This is progressive.
- This is God’s will.
- This does have something to say about sex.
Parent Connection Questions:
- What is a video game or other type of game you play that you’re good at?
- How did you get to be good at that game?
- What happens if you stop playing the game for a year? What would happen if you stopped praying for a year?
- How does spending time with God regularly make us more like Christ?