Pastor Jay continues the sermon series, Be Encouraged, Brothers. This week's message is "Encouraged by Persecution," from 1 Thessalonians 2:14-16. [powerpress] 1 Thessalonians 2:14-16 (ESV)
For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea. For you suffered the same things from your own countrymen as they did from the Jews, who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out, and displease God and oppose all mankind by hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles that they might be saved—so as always to fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them at last!
Receiving the word of the gospel brings persecution.
- Persecution unites us with our brothers.
- Persecution proves that your faith is real.
- Persecution is normal.
- Persecution is often severe.
- Persecution is meant to stop the gospel.
- Persecution is temporary.
- Persecution does not escape the justice of God.
Parent Connection Questions:
- You know the “sticks and stones” rhyme? Is that always true?
- What are some names or words that have hurt? Why do they hurt so much?
- Have you ever been made fun of because you’re friends with Jesus?
- What can you do when you’re made fun of because of your faith in God?