Pastor Jay continues his "Vital Signs of a Health Church" series this week with a message titled "Church Discipline," from 1 Corinthians 5:1-5. [powerpress] 1 Corinthians 5:1-5 (ESV)
It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.
The healthy church practices church discipline.
- Because God calls us to this in scripture.
- Serious harm to a brother.
- Serious unrepentant sin.
- Serious sin on the part of an elder.
- Serious because of heresy.
- Because we have restorative love for a brother.
- Because we have protective love for the church.
- Because we have jealous love for the gospel and the glory of God.
Parent Connection Questions:
- What's one thing you've been punished for doing more than once?
- What is the worst part of being punished?
- Why do you think there should be consequences to our actions?
- How can you avoid discipline this week?