Pastor Jay continues his "Vital Signs of a Health Church" series this week with a message titled "Church Membership," from 2 Timothy 2:15-19. [powerpress] 2 Timothy 2:15-19 (ESV)
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved,a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some. But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”
A healthy church calls people into biblical membership.
- Because the healthy church has a biblical understanding of what the church is.
- The church is the community of all true believers for all time.
- The church is visible and invisible.
- The church is universal and local.
- Because the healthy church understands the benefits of the local church.
- The local church is the engine of discipleship.
- The local church is the engine of shepherding.
- The local church is the engine of evangelism.
- The local church is the engine of worship.
- Because membership is biblically warranted.
- Membership is implied by the whole covenant structure of the Bible.
- Membership is implied by the call to church discipline.
- Membership is implied by the rolls that were kept.
Parent Connection Questions:
- Describe the perfect party. What friends would you invite?
- Have you ever thought of Sunday morning church as a “party” to worship Jesus?
- Why is it a good idea to make church important?