Pastor Jay pauses his "Guard Your Heart" series this week with a sermon titled "Ten Points of Surrender," from Romans 10:1-11. [powerpress] Romans 10:1-11 (ESV)
Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”
Our problem is, we want to get to heaven on our terms. Surrender to the savior king.
- Our problem is want to have our actions considered righteous.
- Our problem is, we don’t want to submit.
- Our problem is, our way doesn’t work.
- Our problem is, we want to make it complicated
- God’s solution is not a matter of our effort.
- God’s solution is to accept Christ as Lord.
- God’s solution is to trust Christ as savior.
- God’s solution is the utter removal of our shame!
- Surrender now with honor.
Parent Connection Questions:
- Have you ever been convinced you were doing something the right way and realized you weren't?
- Have you convinced yourself to keep doing it the wrong way anyway?
- How does Jesus dying on the cross show us there's only one way?
- How can you remind yourself this week that God's way is always best?